Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Northern Front - (Song of the) Jackhammer



Northern Front - (Song of the) Jackhammer

Hmm . . . I didn't think I'd find out anything about these guys at all since the last time I looked I found nothing.

Another of those great record store 45 dj copies. This time from 1976. This is one long song! It clocks in at a painful 5 minutes and 40 seconds. And yes, that really is how the record ends! I thought it was skipping - 3 times in a row! Over and over and over!

Here's what I found out about the band (very little):

Apparently these guys were a progressive rock band from California on the Kader label (I think that was their own label). Looks like they even had an album out too! One site describes it as "completely stoned psych"!


"The Furniture Store" (1975 Kader Records - K-4321 - featuring The Babies of Their Family)



(from Acid Archives)

NORTHERN FRONT (CA)

"Presents Furniture Store" 1975 (Kader k-4321) [2 inserts] [1]

This humorous, proggy band falls somewhere between Broken Bow & Idabell and Oho, with the addition of a power pop edge. The style is reasonably appealing, the instrumentation diverse, the vocals pleasant, and the performances are nice, but the songs aren’t memorable, leading to a pretty bland album. It came with two inserts, and most copies are missing them, leaving the listener with no information at all other than song titles (listed on the labels). [AM]

Saw the same album at another site where it had sold for $60! Whew! Another site has $73 bucks for this here elpee! And yet another for $75! Not sure if this song is from that album or not. Can't find a track listing. Album is listed on several "want lists".

But as it says above it's pretty bland stuff (at least this one song is)! Progressive? Maybe. But Hell, I played more progressive stuff than this back then. It is kind "Beatle-esque" too. I can't put my finger on the song - but it sounds like something I've heard before.

Anyway - enjoy! More to come from the vinyl vault!
(Actually it's a large plastic Rubbermaid® bin!)

And if you know anything about these guys, please let me know. I've always wondered about them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home